Wednesday, May 22, 2013

19 May - For the rail fans - The Durango and Silverton Steam Railroad

It's in my blood, the love of trains, particularly steam trains.  My father and grandfather were both engineers on the Baltimore & Ohio.  Brunswick, Maryland, my home town, was a railroad town.  I've had Lionel Trains all my life so I just love any opportunity to see old trains, particularly in operation.

The Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge (3 ft) Railroad is such a live steam railroad.  It operates rail fan service over 45 miles of track between, where else, Durango and Silverton Colorado.

 
From Durango to the South to Silverton to the North and back

 
The Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad has it's beginnings with the Denver & Reo Grande Railroad as far back as the 1880's. Today, the railroad is a major tourist attraction for the area.
 
 
At the Durango station taking on passengers.
 
 
Built in 1925 in Philadelphia by the Baldwin Locomotive Works
 
 
Fired up and ready to go

 
 
While standing waiting for the train to depart, a silver haired gentleman from Florida asked if I'd take a picture of him with the locomotive in the background.  I said "sure, I'd be happy to".  I could tell from his accent, he was originally from New York. George said "why of course, I was born and raised in Brooklyn and retired to Florida".  He was quite nice and easy to engage in conversation.  We spent about 15 minutes solving the world's problems.
 
 
She's under way.
 
 
Leaving Durango for Silverton
 
 
I caught up with her again for a couple of run by photos before she entered the mountains.
 
 
 

 
What a beautiful sight.  Note the water spraying out the side of the locomotive.
 
I know we have a bunch of rail fans in the family.  I hope you all enjoy these pictures.  There's more to come.  I had the opportunity to visit another location where there is an active steam operation.
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. We took that trip with the kids years ago. Its quite a ride.
    You should plan a trip to SteamTown NP in PA if you have not been there while you are back East.

    ReplyDelete